Thursday 14 June 2007

Long time no speak...

So then I'm back, I bet you all thought I'd failed on Palestine and been thrown into the asylum hey? Unlucky! I'm still here I got the report in (although now its probably worthless being two weeks old) and they released me back into the community!!!

So whats been going on I hear you all clamour? Well a couple of busy weeks I can tell you that for nothing!

Having had two weeks on my own, Mini-Plenary week arrived in the same fashion as a bunch of teenagers playing with fireworks - annoying, predictable and dangerous to anybody in a 100 yard radius. Only this time it had the added spice of Gary's Constituency Office Manager and Regional Political Advisor coming over for a strategy week, something like going over to those teenagers and saying 'Hey kids here's a Catherine Wheel, go nuts!' Don't get me wrong, they are nice people and some of the things we discussed were important BUT they did get in the way, steal my desk to check their bloody email several times aday (okay thats what I do but hey, its my desk!) and generally cramp our style. On the Wednesday me and Chris were having to juggle about five meetings at the same time as well as keep an eye on voting lists and debates and having to interupt this to show someone how to open their email account or use the sodding fax machine was - to be honest - ever so slightly ANNOYING!!!!!

That said their arrival did mean that Gary was in a jovial mood and he took us all out for a Mexican meal on the monday near Porte De Namur Metro stop. As I was showing the Constituency people where their Hotel was I was also tasked with taking them to the Restaurant. Unfortunately I had heard near Porte de Hal not Porte de Namur, so we managed to be abit - ahem - late... Ever meet a sherpa called George don't trust him, in fact smile politely and hire the next sherpa you find to be your guide, preferably one without a hearing problem...

The next night we also got invited round to the EPLP Secretary General's house for a meal. Every time the London office or Constituency bods come over this happens but it was the first time I'd been invited. Now as I was currently applying for a EPLP job I couldn't help but take this as a good sign - and several other people seemed to as well. Funny then it was - I'm sure you can imagine - when on Thursday afternoon when everything was finally calming down, the Constituency office had gone, Gary had gone, in fact I was in the office on my own messing around on Facebook when Giampi - the Secretary General - came in. Shortlisting had been going on that day and he felt the need to tell me in person that I had not been... He said that they had had over fifty applicants and some had decades of experience and were councillors amongst other things... He tried to say that he thought that I had a strong CV and stuff but I cut him off.
'Its fine. I always knew I didn't really have enough experience.' I said 'I wouldn't of applied had Gary not TOLD me to. Heh. At least I should get a good reference hey?' I said, finally allowing a hint of disgust enter my tone.
'Oh absolutely, you'll get an excellent reference off Gary' he said in his soft generic Mediteranean accent. 'And if you need any help from us just ask...' he finished trailing off.
'Thanks, I'll see you later then' I responded, wanting to say 'GET OUT OF MY DAMN OFFICE SO I CAN START SWEARING MY HEAD OFF!!!'
He seemed to pick up the hint and left. And I started swearing my head off. Oh well plenty more jobs to apply for I guess.

That weekend I spent in Lancaster, forgeting my job failure, spending my rent money on booze, playing that fun game 'pull a Tory', having a depressingly small bonfire, and catching up with friends.

This week has been Group week, Alan Johnson has visited to tell us why he should be Deputy Leader, and plenty of other shit has gone on but I will update you on that in another post later on! Oh and to certain people - don't worry I've paid my rent.

No comments: